Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 4
Relaxing day on Burntroot
Side trip to Portal Rapids
Side trip to Barnet Depot farm
Approx. 6.5 miles paddling

Today I slept in later than my normal since we stayed up late to view the stars. The day was perfect again. Just a slight breeze and the water was flat. We had decided to head for the portal rapids at the end of the lake. So we packed our day bag and headed out.

The lake was flat and perfect. The canoe felt good without all our gear and it moved fast with no wind. I like the sound of paddling on a smooth lake. All you hear is the sound of the water dripping off your paddles on the way forward to take another stroke.

The lake was long so we would stop once and awhile to just listen and stare. Near the end of the lake I think we surprised a beaver swimming in the water. I really don't think he noticed us till we where on top of him. He swam around us a bit then smacked his tail and left.

We found the rapids. Which is actually two sets of rapids separated by a small strip of land. One set of rapids looked as though it was a damn of some sort years ago. There was old timbers with long bolts hanging out. We landed the canoe grabbed our fishing poles and headed out to try some fishing.

We where catching many small fish. in both sets of rapids. We stayed for awhile before heading back towards camp.

It was close to lunch time so we stop by another campsite and had some lunch while gazing out over the lake.

On the way back we past a couple small islands that looked to be nesting areas for what I think are ducks. Some of them looked black with long heads. I didn't have any bird books so we where not sure exactly what they are.

The lake was still perfectly calm but the temps where rising. I think this may be the hottest it has been. It felt like a long paddle back since both of us where tired and just needed a good day to relax.

Once back at our private island we both went for a swim. The sandy beach made it fun. After swimming we wadded around in the water playing with all the clams and small fish. We spotted many fish guarding their eggs. So we just watched them as they scared the other fish away.

It was getting hotter by the minute so we both headed back to the shade in camp. That’s what was nice about this campsite. You could go soak up rays or go sit in the shade. The island was pretty narrow where the campsite was so there always seemed to be a slight breeze. We where both relaxing. Matt was tired so he headed for the tent for a nap. I sat back up against a tree and sipped on some tequila. Right now is when I started craving and ice cold drink or a beer.

I started writing in my journal and reflecting on our experience. But my shoulders where still sore from the long portages. This is when I decided to get innovative and figure out a way to add some padding between the canoe and my shoulders. After looking through what I had to work with I came up with an idea. I had brought two quick dry towels. When you fold them up a certain way it was about 1”-1.5” of padding. They where folded at the ends so I could lace some small rope at the ends and tie it to the yoke. This I figured would work perfect. I would find out the next day.

Matt was asleep so I sat back on the beach again. It’s quiet again. No other people or noise just nature. Pretty relaxing. It’s hard to explain you just have to be there and experience it. I just hope Matt was feeling the same way I did.
It was still hot so I waded some more in the water to cool off. Pretty relaxing day.

After dinner we took a short paddle to the Alligator and logging depot. The water was still flat and calm. We explored a little around the site. The big field had plenty of wild flowers growing and wild strawberries growing. The strawberries where not ripe yet.

It was getting near sunset so we paddled slowly back towards camp hugging the shore line. Once back at camp we got the fire going and made some more hemlock tea.

















2 comments:

RxRoger said...

nice pics.... Hemlock tea...? if I recall correctly, it was Socrate's final beverage! ....perhaps another variety, I dare say.

Leesa Dee said...

I think the "ducks" you were seeing were probably loons.

I've never canoed in Canada but have often been in the Boundary Waters area. Reading your blog is almost as good as being there again.