Thursday, July 2, 2009

Food for the trip
I spent a lot of time looking at what I should pack and prepare for the two of us.8-days of food for me normally would require coolers and ice. I love to cook so food was very important to me. I wanted some sort of meat everyday so I had to look at different options. I kept browsing the stores for ideas and slowly picked things up. I took everything out of the boxes and prepacked each dinner with the recipe and anything it may need pre-measured. Sometimes it was milk so I used dry milk but would mix the powdered milk heavier than recommended since it had no flavor. I used butter flavored Crisco for the oil or butter if needed. I know I was heavy on what I packed for food but Matt or I didn't complain when meal times came around.
Breakfasts
We always made coffee. I used a french press. It was a little heavy but it made good coffee. Matt normally had two oatmeal's. I usually don't eat breakfast.
Some mornings a little flat bread with peanut butter.
Snacks
We brought granola bars, 2lbs of jerky, 3-4lbs of trail mix, peanut butter, jelly, bannock and flat bread. I used jelly packs from the restaurants or hotels
Drinks
water from the purifier, flavoring lemonade and grape and 1-liter tequila
Bread
I packed about 20-24 PCs of flat bread and pitas which we used throughout the trip. We made some fresh bannock over the camp fire.
Meals
day 1
lunch - cheese and sausage
Dinner - bacon wrapped fillets and garlic mashed potatoes
day2
lunch - summer sausage, fish we caught, cheese
dinner - jambalaya with our left over summer sausage and flat bread
day3
lunch - bagged terriaki salmon and flat bread
dinner - bagged chicken breast chunks with stuffing mix
day4
lunch - pepperoni, cheese and some snacks
dinner - salt cured ham steaks and oriental noodles "this was good"
day5
lunch - bagged flavored tuna fish on bread and snacks
dinner - beef stroganoff with dried beef "this wasn't that wonderful" to salty maybe
day6
lunch - pepperoni, cheese and snacks or misc left overs
dinner - cheesy tuna using dollar store cheesy tuna mix with two packs bagged tuna fish
"This is good"
day7
lunch - peanut butter and jelly on flat breads or pitas
dinner - salt cured ham chunks mixed with terriaki noodles "loved the salt cured ham"
day8
lunch - misc left overs from the week
Things I would do different with the food
1. More coffee, Matt ended up drinking more than he told me. So we stretched it out farther. I normally mix it strong plus I had an extra days worth so I divided it up.
2. not as much cheese we brought some back
3. More water flavoring
4. More bagged tuna or salmon flavored
5. Not as much trail mix we brought some home.
6. Maybe don't take the extra days food which was mainly just ramon noodles
7. watch the weight of the food more. try to trim it down if possible
8. More bannock but the flower I pre-mixed up was kind of heavy.
9. More sweets plus some brown sugar for the bannock.
10. Smaller containers of spices. I really didn't use that much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great trip log thanks for the read...
huckleberry

Russ Sturgess said...

Your welcome hope it wasn't to long winded. I wanted to get it in writing before I forgot all the details.
Thanks
Russ

Anonymous said...

hey russ, my name is vince, your journey looks very well planned out, a friend and myself were hoping to do some canoeing in the same area as you did, but had a few questions we do not know who to turn to. could we direct some toward you? i really liked your daily planning it looks like you took a great pace. Ive never had to portage a canoe, ive only paddled around lakes, i was wondering how you knew when you had to portage, and in which direction, was it just professional map reading on your part, or are there signs, or what? thank you so much!! i really enjoyed reading about your adventures! vincent.butitta@gmail.com
Thanks much!

Russ Sturgess said...

Vince I spent lot's of time over at this web site http://www.algonquinadventures.com/ and went on their forum. I ordered maps from the park service to plan my route. On the map you'll see all the camp grounds and portages. The portages all have numbers on them. The numbers represent the length in meters of the portage. The portages are marked with a yellow sign and the campsites with a red sign. You can see these a long way. Once you paddle your 1st lake and do a portage you'll get the knack of it. Didn't really need a compass to navigate but I had two anyways. I thought everything was pretty well marked in the park. Every once and a while one would be hard to find or hidden some by tree's. Hope this helps.
Russ

RxRoger said...

Russ, what a great journal of your trip and what a great way to spend time with your son.